If you’ve ever dragged yourself home after a long, cold, wet day and headed straight for a hot bath, congratulate yourself on your excellent instincts. Many mineral springs and the Dead sea are well-known for their healing properties. Luckily, we can get the same benefits with the right bath products in the comfort of our own homes.
Bathing has healing properties that even the animal kingdom has tuned into. While elephants trek for miles looking for mineral deposits to bathe in, we clever humans have learned how to extract and store them. But which bath products should you use for a healing bath?
How to Choose Bath Products
If you’re looking for bath salts, bombs, or other additives for their healing properties, you’ll need to choose them according to your health condition. Typical ingredients for healing bath products include a variety of mineral salts, essential oils, and herbs. Most have been identified as beneficial for a variety of conditions. However, some might target only a few health issues.
So, let’s look at a couple of common ailments that respond well to a therapeutic bath.
Bath Products for Muscle Fatigue
Nothing eases sore and cramped muscles like Epsom salts. This is thanks to the high levels of magnesium in them. Magnesium helps move lactic acid out of overused muscles, which relives soreness from physical activity. This is the main reason Epsom salts feature so highly in healing bath products. Although there is still some skepticism that the magnesium absorbs through the skin in high enough concentration, a few studies have shown that it increases serum levels in those that bathe in Epsom salts. The combination of heat and magnesium is particularly potent for muscle fatigue and achiness.
- Contains: 1 x 5 lb. bag of Epsom Salt by Sky Organics, Medium grain Magnesium Sulfate.
- Soothe Muscles and Skin: Use Sky Organics Epsom Salt as a comforting bath soak to comfort muscles after workouts, remove...
- Easy to Use: Sky Organics Epsom Salt dissolves quickly in warm water so relaxation never has to wait!
This pharmaceutical grade Epsom by Sky Organics salt dissolves quickly into an odorless bath salt to help soothe aching muscles. As a USP-grade product, you can also use it internally as a remedy against constipation. Those concerned with the quality of imported products will be delighted to know it’s made and packed in the United States
- MUSCLE & JOINT RELIEF: Soak your tired, aching body for 20 minutes in this mineral rich, therapeutic bath and feel the...
- RELIEVE INFLAMMATION & STIFFNESS: The vital minerals in Dead Sea Salts absorb into the muscle tissue and provide...
- SPA QUALITY / ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS Carefully hand blended with pure skin loving essential oils, botanicals and the...
This combination of Dead Sea salts and healing oils from Asutra targets those with joint pain or muscle aches. With Eucalyptus, peppermint and clary sage, it also includes aloe vera for healthier skin. Clary sage is particular good for menstrual cramps and may provide relief from amenorrhea
- Bath Soak Designed For Athletes For Muscle Soaking After Your Hard Workout, Long Run, Or Big Game
- Includes Premium Essential Oils - Pine, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, & Lavender
- Get Post-Workout Relief With Relieving Epsom Salt & Relaxing Aromatherapy
Athlete Bath by Better Bath Better Body offers Epsom salt for muscle aches with pine essential oils, a known analgesic. It also includes Vitamin C, which can reduce chlorine in the bath water. However, Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps protect and heal the skin as well. The eucalyptus oil increases blood flow, helping to improve the healing of sore muscles.
Bath Products for Colds and Flu Symptoms
For clearing nasal and bronchial passages in the depths of the common cold, nothing works like Eucalyptus. Inhaling the vapors and its main component 1,8-cineole stimulates the immune system and has anti=bacterial and anti-viral effects.
- Comforts and relaxes overworked muscles allowing for optimum performance
- Eases aches and muscle pains
- Essential oil to relax the senses
Turn your tub into a healing chamber for the cold and flu season with this formula from Dr. Teal designed to treat stuffy noses and chest colds. Eucalyptus benefits those with bronchitis and asthma, as well as the Epsom salt soothing muscles aching from flu or sore from coughing spasms. If you don’t have time for a bath, add a handful to a pot of boiling water and breath deeply for relief.
This mineral bath from Aura Cacia features eucalyptus oil for clearing respiratory passages and providing relief for the common cold. It also includes sweet orange and lavender oils to improve mood. Safe for kids, too.
- Sinus Soothing Bath: Enjoy A Soak With A Soothing Bath Salt Blend Designed To Help You Relax & Get Relief
- Pure Essential Oils: Made With Real, Premium Peppermint Essential Oils & Cypress Essential Oils, No Fillers & No...
- USP Grade Epsom Salt: The Highest Grade Available & The Only Epsom Salt You Should Put On Your Body, Fine Grain For...
With peppermint and cypress oils, this Sinus Relief bath soak from Better Bath Better Body relieves sinus symptoms from colds, the flu, or just seasonal allergies. It helps decongest those nasal passages so that you can breathe freely.
- Breathe Bath Salts Help Improve Your Breathing With All Natural Essential Oils & Epsom Salt
- Breathe Essential Oils - Clove, Spearmint, & Lavender - 100% All Natural & Certified Pure Oils
- Open Your Airways & Sinuses Naturally With A Complete Bath Aromatherapy Experience
Another one of Better Bath Better Body's bath products, for more severe congestion in the upper and lower respiratory tract, the Breathe formula offers clove, spearmint, and lavender for a relaxing bath so that you can sleep and recover your health.
- Blends mineral-rich ocean and desert salts with 100% pure essential oils
- Lifts away old, dead cells, then softens and soothes
- Helps you achieve a renewed sense of balance and well-being
Balsam fir is an excellent de-stressor that also helps fight colds and the flu. This mineral bath product from Aura Cacia will uplift in the dark days of winter as well as healing and strengthening your skin with minerals.
This blend of Dead Sea minerals from Sleep Salts includes immunity boosting echinacea (purple cornflower) and rose hips. Antibacterial essential oils include lemon, tea tree oil, and lemongrass.
Bath Products for Adrenal Exhaustion
Sometimes our busy modern life means eating poorly and drinking too many caffeinated beverages on too little sleep.
Poor sleep, inadequate hydration, and a diet of preservative-laden junk food can result in what we can only call stress exhaustion or adrenal fatigue. Many people seeking recovery from this cycle use bentonite clay to draw toxins out of the body.
Bentonite is known for its ability to clean and open pores in the skin and allows the body to resume its natural detoxification cycle unhindered. Ginger increases blood flow to fine vesicles, works as an anti-inflammatory, and provides relief from joint pain.
While many essential oils assist in relaxation for sleep, cedar wood provides an invigorated mental state that helps you become the eye in the middle of the storm. Sandalwood offers promising anti-cancer properties, but as an aromatherapy tool, it works as an anti-depressant. Perfect for recovering your center after periods of chaos and stress.
- RELIEVE SORE MUSCLES & TIRED FEET: Pure Epsom salt has remarkable therapeutic qualities that serve as a natural way to...
- ESSENTIAL OIL BENEFITS: Ginger natural essential oils combine with clay to remove built up toxins in the body.
- QUICK & EASY REGIMEN: To experience all the natural benefits of Epsom salts, pour at least 2 cups of Dr Teal's under...
Along with the detoxifying effects of bentonite, Dr. Teals Ginger & Clay soak contains sodium bicarbonate, which helps dilate blood vessels to help restore the natural process of detoxification.
- Get Yours NOW!*Only A Few Bags At This Price!***Sodium Bentonite Clay - Much Stronger than the Calcium Bentonite Variety...
- A Very Powerful Detoxing Agent For Deep Pore Cleansing Facials And Is Stimulating To Your Face And Body When Used to...
- The REAL "World's Most Powerful facial" because this Sodium Bentonite Clay offers a much higher negative ionic charge...
Sourced in the U.S. this pure powder from Clay Harmony includes trace minerals for healthier skin. The powdered consistency makes it easy to mix with water for a facial mask or add to bath water. Along with opening your pores, it also makes an excellent poultice to remove blackheads.
- Made with three types of lava from Oregon volcanoes, bentonite, zeolite and pumice - gently exfoliates skin with a...
- Detoxifies and deodorizes thanks to the pulling action of bentonite and zeolite, which bind to heavy metals and other...
- Cleanses and tones while restoring the skin's natural PH thanks to the mineral rich clays
No time for a long soak in the tub? Try these clay-based soap bars with a shea butter base from Lava Love. They feature three types of mineral clays from volcanic ash, including bentonite, zeolite, and pumice. For clearing pores and exfoliating dead skin, these cute bars will leave you feeling fresh and invigorated.
While cedar wood and other conifer essential oils have proven antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, cedar wood also provides aromatherapy benefits. This therapeutic bath featuring aromatic Cedarwood and Sandalwood helps you find your focus and calm in the middle of stressful times in life.
Bath Products for Metabolic Issues
Although no bath will let you eat anything you like without consequences, there’s evidence to suggest that some bath products can help you improve your body composition. For example, cellulite occurs when the fat cells underlying thin and delicate skin become loaded with lipids (stored fat), distorting the collagen structures that hold them in place. This gives the overlying skin a rippled appearance.
Various sea vegetables, including bladderwrack and red algae, have been shown to reduce layers of subcutaneous fat and reduce the appearance of cellulite. A 2012 study showed that extracts of these seaweeds combined with retinoids and conjugated linoleic acid significantly reduced the fat thickness and fortified the collagen structures surrounding them.
Scientists believe that grapefruit oil may also reduce excess subcutaneous fat and have tested the theory. The topical application of grapefruit oil showed a reduction of fat layers under the skin in post-menopausal women. Other studies suggest that it inhibits the growth of additional fat cells.
Cinnamon is the fat-busting champion of the day, and a 2017 study shows it works thermogenically as well as improving metabolism for more efficient fat burning. It’s also a potent anti-bacterial agent, and the pleasant fragrance improves mood and concentration.
Bergamot has been shown to reduce serum triglycerides, which suggests some effect on how the human body manages excess lipids. Scientists have discovered that the smell of bergamot alone is enough to increase feelings of wellbeing.
- Organic, sustainably-harvested bladderwrack seaweed with 65+ vitamins and minerals detoxifies, hydrates and replenishes...
- Antimicrobial neem oil protects and moisturizes all skin types, including dry, cracked skin
- Antioxidant-rich spirulina (blue-green algae) cleanses and purifies skin
This lathering body wash from The Seaweed Co. is rich in bladderwrack extract along with blue-green algae and nourishing oils like coconut and olive oil. Neem oil provides anti-bacterial function, and it comes in several fragrances from essential oils of lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint, citrus, and vanilla.
- Dead Sea Mineral Salts neutralize skin aging without radicals while protecting from dulling dryness
- Keeps PH levels balanced and won’t leave skin thirsty and tight.
- Salts neutralize skin aging without radicals while protecting from dulling dryness.
No products found.
This bath salt formula, infused with relaxing and rejuvenating essential oils, along with sea kelp, Epsom salts, and Dead Sea salts, is rich with a blend of 21 mineral. It also includes bentonite clay. Best of all, you can use it to soak in the bath or use it as a body scrub.
The natural salts and rosemary essential oil in this bath product from Zeitun increases skin integrity, while the essential oil of grapefruit increases metabolism under the skin. Cinnamon and bergamot leave you with a positive, uplifted feeling. It also includes Prickly Pear which has anti-inflammatory abilities. This bath product seems to be a customer favorite for the delightful aroma and complete dissolution of the salts in the bath.
- Slim Soak: All Natural Bath Salt With USP Grade Epsom Salt & Therapeutic Pure Essential Oils
- Pure Essential Oils: 100% Certified Pure Essential Oils - Grapefruit & Geranium With No Fillers & No Additives
- USP Grade Epsom Salt: The Highest Grade Epsom Salt In Fine Grain For Quick-Dissolving
This Metabolism bath soak from Better Bath Better Body is sure to rev you up with its blend of grapefruit, geranium, and orange essential oils. Along with reducing subcutaneous fat, grapefruit also stimulates the lymphatic system. Geranium essential oil also stimulates this system, which is vital to weight loss.
Bath Products for Psoriasis, Eczema, and Dermatitis
A long-standing favorite of dermatologists, colloidal oatmeal heals dry, itchy skin. We can thank its direct anti-inflammation and antioxidant ability for the relief from itching. It can also improve your skin’s overall health by enhancing the skin’s natural barrier function with regular use. This results in improved hydration and skin texture.
Colloidal oatmeal is milled especially fine so that it disperses even in the bath water for a full body treatment. You may be tempted to throw a handful of regular oatmeal in the tub, but you’ll soon find it all sinking to the bottom. The milling process for colloidal oatmeal also includes the bran and reduces the oats to a texture finer than you can achieve at home.
Bath Products for Scrapes and Abrasions
If your kids tend to get a lot of boo-boos, add a few essential oils to their bathwater to improve healing. For that matter, if you’ve been working in the yard or garage with a few extra bumps, cuts, or bruises, take a soak yourself.
Essential oils form the common herbs sage, rosemary, and lavender aid in wound healing by increasing collagen production in the skin. A few drops of each in a hot tub will transport you to a garden daydream while healing those cuts and scrapes.
Bath Products for Skin Infections
We may not like to talk about it, but many people suffer from bacterial and fungal infections of the skin. Those who suffer from back acne or pimples will be relieved from a regular healing bath with sea salt and melaleuca (tea tree) oil.
Sea salt has drying properties that help remove excess sebum from the pores. And melaleuca oil has long been used as an effective treatment for a variety of fungal infections, including vaginal yeast infections, athlete’s foot, and “jock itch.”
Dandruff is also a fungal infection of the skin, so you may want to soak your scalp along with the rest of your body before carefully combing out any flakes. Then shampoo and rinse with clear water
- SOOTHE TIRED, ACHING FEET: Tea Tree Foot Soak is a professional quality therapeutic foot soak featuring Epsoak Epsom...
- CONTAINS PREMIUM QUALITY INGREDIENTS: Made with Epsoak Epsom Salt & Minera Dead Sea Salt - Trusted brands of SFSC....
- WITH ADDED MSM: A beneficial sulfur that aides in relieving joint pain, inflammation & muscle cramps.
This affordably priced bath salt blend is big enough to soak your entire body, even though it’s meant for feet. Along with Epsom salts, it contains Dead Sea salt and the essential oils of tea tree, peppermint, cajuput, camphor, rosemary, eucalyptus, and lavender. It also includes MSM – methylsulfonylmethane – a mineral vital to healthy skin that provides sulfur for healthy collagen and keratin production.
- BEST VALUE!!! Get our Foot and Toenail Kit today for Only $29.95. Purchased Separately on Amazon our Tea Tree Oil Foot &...
- FOOT & TOENAIL CARE: Our Antifungal Tea Tree Oil Foot & Body Wash, Tea Tree Toenail Blend and Tea Tree Oil Foot Soak...
- ANTIFUNGAL TEA TREE FOOT & BODY WASH: A Fragrant Blend of Essential Oils Including Tea Tree Oil, Oregano, Eucalyptus,...
With everything you need to treat a persistent fungal skin infection, these bath products from Purely Northwest are rich with natural anti-fungal ingredients. The three-product set includes a foot wash, a salt soak, and a topical treatment for nails. Essential oils include tea tree oil, camphor, oregano, eucalyptus, and rosemary.
Bath Products for Chronic Pain
Those with chronic pain conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and fibromyalgia often benefit from healing bath products that include minerals and essential oils. A hot bath can improve sleep quality, which reduces pain for those with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. Epsom salts can also reduce edema, helpful for those with rheumatoid arthritis.
Also known as Boswellia in Ayurvedic medicine, Frankincense has been used for centuries in inflammatory disorders, such as arthritis and RA.
- New & Improved: “Joints Soak” Is The Same Great Formula With New & Updated Packaging
- Pure Essential Oils: Frankincense Essential Oil Can Help Soothe & Ease Your Joints
- Epsom Salt Power: Epsom Salt Can Help Detoxify The Body & Soothe Your Joints
This bath product for arthritis from Better Bath Better Body contains Epsom salts along with frankincense essential oil to relieve pain. It also includes rosemary for skin integrity and peppermint oil, which works as a mild analgesic as well as a stimulant to increase blood flow.
Get Ready to Soak and Health
Depending on your age, health, and general physical condition, bath products with herbal, mineral, or essentials oils are considered generally safe for adults. Of course, you should never use them in place of care from a trained medical professional. However, a hot soak in an aromatic tub never hurts after a long day.
Many people find relief from bathing, and water baths both hot and cold have been a part of the medical tradition for thousands of years. Cleopatra is said to have bathed in mud wraps from the Dead Sea to maintain her figure. Hippocrates wrote treatises on the benefits of bathing, and later Romans built public baths as a matter of the city’s health and hygiene.
Mineral and hot springs and mineral-rich seas still bring many tourists for their health qualities. Along with the application of heat from hot mineral springs, the benefit of a holiday away from the cares of the everyday world can’t be dismissed.
Create your own home spa with one of these healing bath products and reduce stress while feeding and nurturing your skin.