Herbs and spices are full of vitamins and minerals. New scientific research has confirmed that they also have health-enhancing benefits and can stave off old age and fight ill-health. According to the USA Spice Trade Association, each American individual consumes somewhere around 4 pounds of spices per year. If you would like to eat better and keep fit and healthy, here are the top healthy spices with their corresponding health benefits.
1. What Are Healthy Spices?
Healthy spices are spices with medically proven health benefits. Dried and organic herbs and spices are a convenient and economical way to improve your health when fresh herbs are not available.
2. What Do They Do?
Small, regular doses of healthy spices and fresh herbs provide a whole range of nutrients including antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, anti-inflammatory agents and more. They increase your daily intake of nutrients while also improving the taste of your food and beverages.
3. How Do They Work?
Scientific research shows that cultures who eat spicy food have a much lower incidence rate of heart attacks and strokes. Healthy spices or herbs have different nutrients with subsequently different health benefits, but all contain vitamins and minerals.
4. Where Can You Buy Them?
Healthy spices and herbs can be found in most health food stores and online via Amazon.
5. Why Are Organic Herbs and Spices More Healthy?
Organic spices are not treated with insecticides, fungicides and other chemicals. Nor are they irradiated to eliminate mold or bacteria. Organic farmers use natural UV light and do not add dyes, anti-caking agents or filler ingredients such as sugar or MSG to their products.
How We Reviewed
The following products were reviewed based on the following parameters: Features, Pros & Cons, Budget, Where to Buy, and Warranty. One-pound sizes were referenced, when available, for more accurate budget comparisons. A variety of trusted sources, referenced by medical practitioners and consumers, were used to research this article.
What We Reviewed
- Cinnamon Naturevibe Botanicals Premium Organic
- Sage – Frontier Sage Leaf Rubbed
- Peppermint – Frontier Co-op Leaf Cut & Sifted
- Holy Basil – Burma Spice Dried Holy Basil Leaves
- Cayenne Pepper – Chef’s Quality Ground Red Pepper
- Ginger- Healthworks Ginger Powder Raw Organic
- Rosemary – Starwest Botanicals Organic Leaf Whole
- Garlic -Spice World, Organic, 32 oz.
- Cardamom – Frontier Seed, Decorticated (no Pods), Powder
Cinnamon – Naturevibe Botanicals Premium Organic
- Cinnamon is a spice that is made from the inner bark of trees scientifically known as Cinnamomum.It has been used as an...
- There are two main types of cinnamon: Ceylon cinnamon: Also known as "true" cinnamon. Cassia cinnamon: The more common...
- Cinnamon is made by cutting the stems of cinnamon trees. The inner bark is then extracted and the woody parts...
Organic Ceylon cinnamon, which is true cinnamon, is made from the bark of a tree, which is then ground into a powder. It has a sweet distinctive flavor and is one of the healthiest spices you can eat. It is also healthier and tastier than the more commonly available type of cinnamon, Cassia Cinnamon. Ceylon cinnamon tastes wonderful when added to milk puddings, cakes, and cookies.
- Overconsumption (more than 1.5 teaspoons a day) may be harmful
Cinnamon is considered the healthiest spice due to its high level of antioxidants, which include polyphenols that fight the effects of pollution on the body. It is effective in lowering blood sugar and treating respiratory illnesses. A serving of 5mg per day (for a 60kg person) can increase good HDL cholesterols levels in the body. This reduces the risk of heart disease.
Sage – Frontier Sage Leaf Rubbed
- SAGE LEAF - Frontier Co-op Sage Leaf (Botanical name: Salvia officinalis), is a member of the Lamiaceae, or mint family...
- A VERSATILE INGREDIENT - Sage leaves are a very common ingredient found in homemade stuffing around the world. The minty...
- FLAVORFUL AND AROMATIC - The fuzzy, gray-green leaves of sage carry a sweet and earthy flavor with a minty, menthol-like...
This green-leafed herb is a healthy spice with a distinctive taste that is often combined with rosemary in cooking. Rubbed sage is light, fluffy and fragrant. It is best added at the end of the cooking process for the strongest taste. One teaspoon of dried sage is equal to half a tablespoon of freshly chopped sage. It is especially delicious when added to cheese dishes, vegetarian stir-fries, and chicken dishes.
- Value for money
- This large amount may be difficult to consume before the sell-by date
Sage is one of the most effective healthy spices in promoting digestion, reducing bloating, gas, and indigestion. It strengthens the nervous system, and studies have shown the effectiveness of sage in improving brain function and memory.
Peppermint – Frontier Co-op Leaf Cut & Sifted
- ROBUST PEPPERMINT FLAVOR AND AROMA - This is an aromatic peppermint with a cooling, refreshing scent. It’s an...
- TOP-QUALITY PEPPERMINT - This Frontier Co-op herb is kosher certified. We personally meet with growers whenever possible...
- GROWN IN THE HIGH DESERT - The high desert region of the Pacific Northwest is a prime location for growing natural herbs...
Peppermint leaves have a strong fragrance and can be added to salads or used to make peppermint tea.
- Lowers the blood sugar level in the body
Peppermint leaves are high in Vitamins A and C, the minerals Iron and Potassium, and also contain antioxidants. It promotes oral and respiratory health and can relieve headaches. Peppermint tea can also provide immediate digestive relief for an upset stomach and bloating.
Holy Basil – Burma Spice Dried Holy Basil Leaves
Holy Basil leaves are from the mint family and have a spicy, lemony flavor. This healthy spice is regularly used in Thai cooking because of its unique flavor. Also known as “hot basil”, Holy Basil can be easily added to stir-fries and stirred into teas.
- An important component of Thai cooking
- Unique taste
- Also used in teas
- May cause low blood sugar
- Best avoided if you are trying to get pregnant
Holy basil tea is an anti-oxidant and a remedy for common colds, bronchitis, fever, and the flu. It has been shown to improve blood circulation, chi, and energy problems. An active ingredient in Indian and Chinese herbal medicine, Holy Basil lowers blood sugar in diabetics.
Cayenne Pepper – Chef’s Quality Ground Red Pepper
Cayenne pepper is a potent red pepper that is milder than chili pepper and an easy way to increase your daily dose of vitamins and minerals. It can be used in curries, homemade salad dressings, egg and fish dishes. It also adds flavor and color to rub mixes for barbecues.
- Good value for money
- Great taste
A very healthy spice if you wish to add vitamins and minerals to your diet. It’s a key ingredient in ointments and creams to relieve pain from osteoarthritis. It also has strong anti-fungal properties.
Ginger – Healthworks Ginger Powder Raw Organic
- Certified Organic and Nutritionally Dense! Healthworks organic ginger powder has a high source of vitamins and minerals...
- MANY BENEFITS & NUTRIENTS: Nutritionally dense and loaded with plant-based antioxidants & vitamins/minerals such as...
- NATURAL ORIGIN: Our all-natural certified organic pure Ginger Root Powder is hand selected from small sustainable...
Sourced from sustainable organic farms, raw organic ginger powder is a great addition to your healthy spices collection. It is a versatile healthy spice that can be added to sweet or savory dishes or even in teas. It is a comforting addition to winter soups and warms the whole body from the inside out. Ginger is easy to incorporate into savory and sweet dishes, smoothies, fresh fruit and vegetable juices, and cookies. This bulk order will store well in airtight or mason jars and prove to be an economical buy.
- Great taste
- Sourced from small, sustainable, organic farms
- Large amount may be difficult to use by the sell by date
Ginger contains Vitamins B6 and Vitamin C. It also contains the minerals Magnesium, Phosphorus, and Zinc. A popular way to treat nausea, ginger also assists in digestion and relieving constipation. It has been scientifically shown to reduce cholesterol and also be effective in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.
Rosemary – Starwest Botanicals Organic Leaf Whole
- Latin/Botanical Name - Rosmarinus officinalis
- Certified Organic by QAI - In accordance with the USDA National Organic Program Guidelines
- Kosher Certified
Rosemary is a fragrant herb often used to flavor cooking oils and is used frequently when cooking meat dishes. The whole organic leaves can be used in cooking a range of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.
- Wonderful scent
- Easy to cook with meat or vegetables
- Aids digestion
- May contain broken leaves
Clinical studies have shown its beneficial effects on improving concentration, memory and completing mental tasks. It also improves mood and has been shown to prevent hair loss and baldness.
Garlic – Spice World, Organic, 32 oz.
- Certified Organic Ready-to-Use Fresh Minced
- No Preservatives, No Sodium
- Fat Free, Non-GMO, Kosher
Garlic is part of the onion family and is a strong tasting herb often added to savory dishes around the world. Garlic can be added to soups, and it is delicious roasted whole and eaten with vegetables. This organic product is sold as a convenient dried powder. Half a teaspoon of dried powder is equivalent to 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic.
- Good value for money
- Can affect the breath
- Not as healthy as raw garlic
Garlic is a strong remedy in assisting recovery after illnesses and preventing colds and flus because of its antifungal and antibacterial properties. Garlic also contains allicin, which has been proven to lower high blood pressure and cholesterol. It is known to fight intestinal problems and boost the natural immune system of the body.
Cardamom – Frontier Seed, Decorticated (no Pods), Powder
- CARDAMOM SEED POWDER - Frontier Co-op Organic Decorticated Cardamom Seed Powder comes from ground fruit seeds from the...
- TASTY BENEFITS - Cardamom was used in ancient Egypt for both sweet and savory recipes. It has a sweet and spicy flavor...
- SWEET & AROMATIC - Frontier Co-op Decorticated Cardamom Seed Powder contains no seed pods. It is aromatic with an...
A key ingredient in Indian and Middle Eastern cooking, cardamom is also used in Sweden cuisine to season baked goods, hamburgers and meatloaves. This is a healthy spice you can use in apple pie recipes, muffins and coffee cakes. Cardamom adds fragrance and flavor to hot drinks like mulled wine, tea , and coffees.
A rich source of vitamins and minerals, cardamom also improves blood circulation, asthma, and bronchitis. It can be an effective remedy for sore throats and has been used as an aphrodisiac.
For all-around health, each of the above products offers distinctive health benefits. We would recommend you begin by adding one or two high-quality healthy spices and herbs into your cooking and enjoy the difference in taste. We feel that the best health spice to start with is organic cinnamon, which is a delicious addition to hot drinks, puddings, and sweets. If you have a more savory inclination, organic garlic may be your first choice as it is an essential staple of every food lover’s cupboard.
Last update on 2021-05-11 at 16:16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API